Monday, February 25, 2008

Pregnancy Trade-Offs

The other day I was talking with some friends at church. One is pregnant with her first child. When asked how her pregnancy was going, she complained that she felt she was loosing her mind a bit. My friend with two children quickly assured her not to worry. "It comes back," she said. "Comes back?" I wondered, as my thoughts inadvertantly turned to
the glass of milk at home on my counter.

If it looks a bit odd, it is because it has several scoops of formula in it. You see, I made the fatal mistake of motherhood, which is thinking that I could do two things at once (namely drink some milk while making a bottle for Penny) and actually do them both right. The even more interesting thing about motherhood is, not only can you never do two or more things at the same time and get them right, but you will ALWAYS be doing two or more things at the same time . . . which means that most things you do will be wrong.

I smiled and assured my pregnant friend that her steel trap mind would go right back to normal. I may have neglected to add that it would be a new normal . . . very different from the old normal. Even if she knew this frightening truth though, it would be ok. It's not a bad trade-off. For each ounce of lost ability to think correctly, put things where they belong (like milk in the fridge and not in the cupboard), and talk intelligently, you get some pretty great stuff. Like these here kids below. In fact I think there exists a direct link between how much mental capability you lose during pregnancy and how great the kid turns out. The more you lose, the better the kid. That is why mine are so great.




8 comments:

Gracie J said...

And even if she knew the truth, she wouldn't really understand what on earth you were talking about until she has the baby. I think it gets more "normal" if you only have one child and then immediately get a semi-normal life back after that one child goes to bed at night. The formula/milk story cracks me up! Let's attribute the majority of it to sleep-deprivation.

Perla said...

I love that post. This is one of the coolest quotes ever: The even more interesting thing about motherhood is, not only can you never do two or more things at the same time and get them right, but you will ALWAYS be doing two or more things at the same time . . . which means that most things you do will be wrong. Fantastic photos! I always get so excited to come to your blog and see something new to read and see!

Mugsy said...

O Nanners, So so true. I love reading your posts. And I really love looking at my cutest nieces and nephew more than anything!

Mugsy said...

O and you probably haven't noticed but Reed and Penn seem to have the exact same eyes.

Anonymous said...

Daisy looks so much younger with a beanie - and Abe so different with longer hair! BTW, wondering the other day if your hair is naturally the platinum that it is . . . or if you cheat a little. It seems to me that it's the first, just curious.

As for my mental workings . . . I think it's going to take a LOT of work to get it functioning in any kind of normal capacity . . . . ouch, my brain hurts. I think I reached my quota for intelligent thought for the day (and yes, this is intelligent for me - now you see how little I have to work with). You're great!

Nancy said...

Believe it or not, my hair is au-naturel. Perhaps I might actually enjoy doing a bit of hi-liting or something exciting, but as my hair is ohhh so weak and thin I don't dare to mess with it. Someone did once ask me if I'd dyed it yellow though. Huh.

P.S. Oh Marzee, you're smart as a whip! I would add a few other cool sayings like that, but the others I know are all negative, like -- one card short of a full deck, not the sharpest knife in the drawar, etc.(and those most certainly don't apply to you -- though they are kinda catchy!)

Anonymous said...

You're so good to me.

Gotta tell ya, love that you respond to people's comments on your blog. Not many people do it . . . it makes one wonder - do they even care that their readers took time out of their day to invest a little effort in getting to know that wonderful blogger better? Hmmmm. Nice to know you like/appreciate our visits here. We only do it because we love you!

Nancy said...

Oohh thankyou, I do love whenever I see there is another comment! For awhile though I didn't realize that commentors (is that a word)would have any way of knowing I commented back . . . until my smartypants sister told me about clicking the "email comments" button -- so that could be the trouble with your other bloggy friends. They are computer confused all the time like me perhaps. Thanks again for your lovely visits (and most entertaining comments)!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...