Friday, February 29, 2008

My Demanding Spouse

My husband has been working very late every night this week. When this happens, I tend to put very little effort into dinner. The kids are lucky if it’s oatmeal. Yesterday Mike told me via phone that he wouldn’t be home til after 8:00.

“How ‘bout you have somethin’ really tasty for me for dinner when I get home.” He suggested.

He asks very little and I was eager to grant his request – although, in my mind I was thinking, “shoot, do I have enough time to make chicken cordon bleu? The kids still need to do their reading homework and have baths . . .” But I responded willingly, “Name it."

“Oh, I don’t know,” he hesitated.

“I’m serious,” I said, “just tell me what you want and I’ll make it.”

“Well,” he said, “how about grilled cheese?”

“Grilled cheese?? Really?” I asked – slightly relieved and slightly incredulous.

“Yah, but lots of grilled cheese, not a wimpy amount. . . . And maybe a little apple-juice – if we have some.”

Well, I didn’t have apple juice, but by George, that man was going to get a little apple juice with his grilled cheese! I ran to the store and got some, and I made FOUR of the best grilled cheese sandwiches ever!! I do like that Mike.

13 comments:

Mugsy said...

I like that Mike too. O that was soupposed to be a secret....

Gracie J said...

What a terrible man! I cannot believe he'd ask for anything as complicated to make as a grilled cheese sandwich. I love that he didn't want a wimpy one though. I'm glad you were able to pimp the grilled cheese so that it wasn't weak.

Your "blog" makes me want to have a nice grilled cheese with some apple juice. It's pretty awesome that you have such a cool (I almost said, "Kick A") husband!

Nancy said...

Oh Jess you make me laugh. I loved that I "pimped" the grilled cheese. I forgot you love a good grilled cheese. I only like them if they are actually really a tuna melt, which would pretty much cause my husband to pass out in pure horrified digust.

jami v. said...

aren't we glad there are "grilled cheese" men in our lives? i think heavenly father knew i'd pass out if i had to fix a three course meal every night for the one i married - so he sent me the bald one. :) he's a "grilled cheese" man too. :)

Perla said...

I love that I could totally here Mike's voice in that post. Always a treat to read what you write, that's for sure, sista.

Lover of Sweets said...

Your words were endearing. Yeah, I said it. I'll scratch anyone's eyes out who tries to suggest otherwise.



These letters are ridiculous. I'm signing my posts with letters from here on out.
peace out
xyyaivc

Rhonda said...

Haha, that just reminds me so much of Greg...he gets so excited whenever I make something like a quesadilla and thinks I am the best "cook" ever. However, it makes me quite relaxed in my meal planning becuase most the time he is more than happy with some fruit and cereal. I guess I can't really complain though! You were so sweet to go get Mike some apple juice! What a good wife you are!

Liz said...

I wish that Jay would be happy with just some pimped up grilled cheese, as Jess called it. I'm sure that he would act like he was pleased but I can usually tell when I don't make something pretty hardy he is not satisfied. When our dinner doesn't suffice he often runs to McDonald's down the street at 10pm.

Anonymous said...

So cute! A man with simple tastes . . . . love it.

Nancy said...

Yes, lest any of you are sad that my husband has such simple tastes, there has been the occasional time when I've thought it would be fun to make some crazy cool dinner. Alas, who would eat it?? So, I'll just be happy that he's so happy with mac and cheese and dream of eating fancy food.

Salty Incisor said...

Hey one time I made grilled cheese and felt bit guilty doing it and when Bman came home he was giddy. Grilled Cheese?? he was like a kid in a candy store.
I guess its what you call good old fashioned comfort food!!!

Salty Incisor said...

P.S. this is a really cute picture. Love it...thanks for letting me jib lurk

BS and the Kids said...

Oh how I wish my hubby would be happy with a simple grilled cheese. You really are so lucky.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...