Thursday, February 28, 2008

It's a bloggy blog world

1 – I’m not super fond of the word “blog.” I don’t know why, I just feel a little dumb saying it. I still do say it though, so I’m not too good for the word. My smarty-pants sister tells me it comes from “web log”.

2 – I like the word “post”. I think it is because every time I hear it I think of the slightly bizarre movie “Cold Comfort Farm.” The main girl was often referred to only as, “Robert Post’s child.” Sometimes I tell my sisters to go check out my new Robert Post’s child when I’ve added a new post.

3 – I used to wonder what the deal was with the strange curvy letters you have to type in if you want to leave a comment at the end of a post. I knew it was some type of protection and so wondered, “can ‘bad’ people not read these tricky letters?” My sister thought perhaps it was some form of discrimination against the visually impaired and any comments they might like to leave. Once again smarty-pants sister (that’s Perla for any of you who have noticed her here) tells me it is to avoid spam – as an actual person needs to type it in. Ah-hah!

4 – A good way to have the last word in any conversation (especially if your husband is treading on thin ice with some smart-alecy remarks) is to say, “HA! I’m going to blog about that!!” -- Even if you must say the word “blog.” It always makes me laugh like, "just wait, I'll show you!"

5 – People seem to feel silly leaving comments if you didn’t specifically invite them to your blog, but that is only because they don’t realize a comment (especially unexpected) is like a little treat left on your door-step, and you like that they have been sneakily reading your blog.

6 – Everyone I know who started up a blog (or “jib” as my sister calls it) after first seeing mine, made their own ten times cooler looking. What gives?

If there is anything else you've thought of when it comes to blogging, feel free to tell me in a comment.

9 comments:

Lover of Sweets said...

I liked the comment you left for Tash the other day concerning bloggy blogs, something about how your kids have to know about blogs in order to thrive in this bloggy blog world. Anyway...very informative.

Perla said...

Enjoyable thoughts. Especially since it made me sound so cool. Now if people read those posts they will then go to my jib and hear the music and will think that I myself am my husband, Chancho, instead of just me, Perla.

Liz said...

My mother-in-law laughed at me when I told her it is called a blog. I don't think she can figure out how to log onto so-called blog, so maybe she will never get what it really is. It's funny that you threaten that you are going to blog something because Jay always asks, "Are you going to put that in your Blog," when anything of interest happens in our home. I told him maybe he should put it in his own blog. It's kind of like saying,"you can shove it!" only nicer.

jami v. said...

7)although it's a weird word, aren't they nice to keep us all connected when we all seem to spread so far apart?

Salty Incisor said...

You are right. It is like getting little valentines on a daily basis. I noticed those with blogs leave them and then I do find out that others are sneakily reading and I had no idea! Maybe a blog is like a security blanky in a way!!

Mugsy said...

And you used to think that grilled cheese sandwiches were garilla cheese. Meg

Marnie said...

I thought exactly the same thing - other people, including you, have up with much cooler looking blogs. I told John so, and he was a bit offended since he was the one who set it up and picked our background. The sad thing is, I have no creative thoughts of my own, and I can't just copy others since they will see it. I really want to do your black and white photo collage and have some cool floral print like Rhonda's. I'll just have to make up for it with amazing content.

Gracie J said...

Blog reminds me of other words we hate like the words "nasty" & "moist".

I think your "blog"/"posts" are plenty cute. No need to fancy them up. It's the writing that matters anyway.

BS and the Kids said...

I remember the first time my friend told me she had a "blog" and I was a little confused. I can't remember what it stands for something like bloggy blog or something. Anyway, it is such a fun thing now and I love reading your "thoughts".

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...