Sunday, April 27, 2008

Possum Wheels

I generally don’t listen to the radio these days, but I was driving home from Visiting Teaching in our little black truck and it only has a radio. Anyway, I am glad I was listening because the John Tesh show was on and he was telling us all about this cool company that makes carts for dogs who have lost limbs. They have wheels and harnesses and the dogs are so happy because it gives them their life back again, and one German Shepherd was so depressed that all he would do was lie there looking out the window at all the other dogs playing until he got his little cart, and then he ran off down the driveway like a new dog ready to play. At the end of the show they mentioned the web site (which I have unfortunately forgotten – maybe something like Ed’s wheels?). They also added that they have made wheels for dogs as big as 220 pounds right on down to Chihuahuas. They have even made carts for cats, guinea pigs, hamsters, rabbits and AN OPPOSUM! Now, there could certainly be some interesting things to think about here. . . . Interesting how much some folks love their rabbits, interesting to think of how much money was spent on medical bills for these hamsters before they were ready for their little carts, interesting to wonder how much longer the hamsters will live anyway. We could go on and on. I won’t however because I don’t know how everyone feels about this. I will only say that while my husband does love animals, he loves them in a little more of farmy sort of way – you know, the sort of love that shoots a horse when he breaks his leg (I’m sorry if that type of love offends any of you). That means there will likely be no wheels on any rabbits around here – though he will certainly mourn with Abe over the loss of any rabbit (not that we are getting rabbits – but you can never be too certain) and, I must admit that personally, I’d love to see a little hamster carting itself around. I also think it would be super cool to get wheels for a chicken.

BUT, the thing that struck me most was the reference to the one opossum cart. My first thought was, “Who keeps a possum for a pet?” Then the whole thing laid itself out perfectly before me. There can be little doubt how this possum came to lose the use of its back legs (if you are unsure of what I mean, please refer to my previous post on the possum). This opossum wasn’t a pet to begin with. He was a plain old possum, but then he got hit by a car (like so many possums before him), only this time, the driver of the car had likely been reading my possum post! Because I had raised possum awareness, the driver did not speed off as he otherwise might have. Rather, he stopped to check on the little guy who, it turns out, was not dead at all (though he might have been playing dead as also discussed in my post) merely deprived of the use of his back appendages. You can probably guess the rest of the story from here as well as I did, but I must say, it just warms my heart thinking of that little possum and his new owner going on little walks with his little leash and tiny little back wheels (at night of course since possums are nocturnal), and I like to imagine that I am wholly responsible for this happy relationship.

10 comments:

Gracie J said...

This post of yours gave me a great amount of delight. We all know how I feel about animals (negatively). So, the thought of a two or three legged dog having a cart to drag itself around gives me a great deal of joy because I like picturing it in my mind's eye. Not that I wish any animals ill will, I just don't want to own them (cart or no cart). And yah...what of the Opposum??? That's too weird! You've always done so much for the Opposums of the world. It's about time they paid you back!

Jana said...

Okay, this is crazy - funny crazy! I am amazed at how much people love their animals! In my lifetime it would never occur to me to love an animal this much. But, I can't help but wonder why people are developing wheels for almost dead animals when half the earth's population is starving....I'm just saying.

But it made me think of these... for people:

http://www.segway.com/individual/models/index.php

I just think it comes down to this - women just can't get enough pretty paper and shoes, and men can't get enough wheels!

Liz said...

Who knew that after your post on possums. That possums would keep coming up. They are on the splash mountain ride at Disneyland and we have been reading a book to Ashton that has possums in it. Happily they are hanging from trees and not lying dead on the road. I think you should go on a possum hunt at night so that you can see one hanging from a tree - maybe that is the only time to catch them in the act of hanging. By the way where is your 80's post. You can take pictures of your old pictures and then upload them, you don't need a scanner. Just aim the flash to the side so you don't get a glare. I want to see some 80's hair - did your hair feather?

Perla said...

Nancy, I am so so SO proud of you for raising possum awareness like this. You have no idea how many possums might be rolling around or hanging upside down on little carts right now thanks to you!

The San Diego Mills said...

It's funny that you should do a post about this, because they talked about this very topic on Oprah yesterday. Not opposums, but they talked about this lady who ran an animal hospital out of her home. She took in all sorts of sad little dogs and a bunch of other types of animals who were deformed. It was such a funny sight to see all these little dogs with little carts on their back legs being dragged around. Although I'm not a huge animal lover myself, I thought it was very nice of this lady to take in all these animals without pay and take care of them.

Mugsy said...

Hah! How I love to see how the "wheels" in your head turn! That was very cool and glad that you are doing something for the greater good with your blog like, raising possum awareness. You Rock sister! Well thatnks for the nice words about Josh. I love you, MEg
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NOT THE WORDS!! vtcpy....O crap I just typed them up here...ARRG!!!

BS and the Kids said...

I love the John Tesh Show!! He has such wonderful insight. A cart for possums. You crack me up. Who would ever have thought that the possums would be at it again.

Perla said...

this was an awesome post but it was like five days ago. what about the 80s?

Lover of Sweets said...

Possum wheels! I am still crackin' up. This was a great and enlightening post. I love that you brought those two together. I hope they will have nice little nocturnal walks for years to come. You are such a great person to bring to everyone's attention...the life of the Opossum and it's adversities. I am proud to know you and to be married to your possum lovin' brother (I don't really KNOW that).
I HAVE seen on TV a little chihuahua pulling one of those "special" carts after the loss of his tiny limbs.
I think he had lost them in a fight with a possum.

Nancy said...

Oh Priscilla, I kept having to read all your recent comments out loud to Mike because they were so hilarious. I loved the Chiahua losing his limbs fighting an opossum and I loved that our city chickens will soon be flying the coop. Ohhh, you wrote some goooood comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...