Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Little More Mike


I wanted to write a little about my husband. I’ve heard complaints from some about how it is no fun when people go on and on about their perfect husbands, so I will let you all know right here and now, that my husband is not perfect. He is most likely the worst husband ever! (Honey, you really are the perfect and best husband ever, I just said that so no one reading this would feel bad). Anyway, I am a big fan of people just liking their husbands because it makes me happy to see married people that like each other; and I don’t think it is so much about who is the most romantic, who is the best cleaner, or who gives the most compliments, etc. as it is about appreciating your spouse for who he is and liking who he is and the things he does (even if it is buying you a vacuum . . . or perhaps a Nintendo Wii instead of flowers).

So, despite the fact that my husband is a horrible husband (Mike, you are the best in the world!!), I just really really like him. I like him even with his refusal to let me throw things away and his desire to force us to someday live with cattle for pets. And he did do a very nice thing the other day. Sometimes I complain that I could use a little more coddling – you know, being treated like a delicate flower that needs constant care – unfortunately, I am fairly hardy. Well, I guess that isn’t “unfortunately;” I wouldn’t trade my poor sister-in-laws who get horribly sick with their pregnancies or give up any other physical blessing. It’s just that I’m usually fine, so my husband assumes . . . you know . . . that I’m fine (because, well, I am). Anyway, the other day I was feeling awful – headachy and nauseous. I called Mike at work and he rushed right home to take care of me. It was nice to know that he could coddle if necessary. He made me go take a nap and forget about the kids. He refused to let me give in to my near constant urges to straighten up clutter (and even straightened some himself), and he bought me chicken noodle soup, Munchies (yes those again), orange soda, and rainbow sherbet ice-cream (that was the bizarre list of items that I came up with that didn’t seem like they would make me throw up). Now, one could argue that this was due more to his sense of honesty. He was, after all taking “sick leave.” His sick leave does say he must be sick himself or taking care of another sick family member. Whatever his motivation – duty, love or honesty, he did a darn fine job!

Moving right along, one of my very favorite things about my husband is that he makes me laugh out loud generally several times each day. Here are a few of the cool things he’s told me this week:

Penny has gotten in the habit of turning off the power switch to our computer. It doesn’t matter that the cord is at the back of the computer desk and I’ve pushed it as far behind as possible, nor does it matter if I wedge a large chair under the desk allowing pretty much zero access to the switch. She still manages to worm her way through to switch off the power. I was complaining about this to Mike until he told me how he could just imagine a National Emergency where some reactor in a very small space would need turning off. “Send in Penny” they would say, and in she would weave and crawl and wriggle until she turned the switch off – saving all of humanity.

Also, when he first came home to take care of poor sick me the other day he said, as seriously as he could manage, “What can I do for you honey? Do you need me to blog for you?” Oh he’s a smart alec for sure. Plus I said something that I thought was so funny the other day and when I said, “Oh that was funny, huh?” He replied, “Yes . . . but don’t put it on your blog.”

Lastly, Mike saw some news thing recently about these “free cruises” that are really high pressure seminars trying to get you to join or buy something. Apparently they will sit with you at your meals, as you relax by the pool, etc. and hound you over the products. Anyway, Mike was trying to talk me into living our summers on a farm the other day. I asked him if this farm was some sort of a time share thing that other people took care of the rest of the year. He told me that our entire marriage was “actually a time share sales pitch” and that that was why I “got such a good deal.” Now anytime there is anything I bring up that I don’t like he tells me it is part of the time share. I wish I’d known that that was the whole reason this marriage was going to be such a bargain before I signed on. This is one long high pressure seminar and I will likely crack soon.

Anyway! No bragging or boasting here (though honestly, sometimes it can’t be helped). You are all free to like your husbands every bit as much as I like mine. In fact, I’d love to read your “posts” about it. I do like Mike though. He’s my favorite.

14 comments:

jami v. said...

that mike is a good one- and funny besides. i found myself laughing at the things he said to you. funny how smart-alecy they are (meaning the hubbies) about this blogging. :) jas is the same way ... but i'll tell you, i love my jas as much as you love your mike. aren't we just so very lucky, and oh so very blessed?! :)

Perla said...

very handsome pics of mike. great writing. very witty and entertaining post. i am so glad,too, when people like their spouses and are kind to them. you and mike are so good together and i am so happy to have good men taking care of my sisters that i love so much.

funny about the blog. my jas thought he might tease for a second, then he realized that with me on the computer next to his, he was free to play his games with no teasing from me. so i think he's pleases as punch that i'm blogging. i think...

Jana said...

Well, the next time you don't like him so much you can tell him you are selling the time share!

Nice husbandly pics. I need to take more of those at my house so I can blog brag more about my "time share".

The San Diego Mills said...

Very cute! I too enjoy hearing people talk about what they admire in their husbands in a realistic and sweet sort of way as you did in the post. I don't enjoy the bragging much either and try to avoid it, even though in my eyes my husband is the sweetest man ever. On a side note, I forgot to mention awhile back when you talked about Munchies that they happen to be one of my favorites also! They are delicious!

Gracie J said...

That all really is quite funny. I especially like that he asked if he needed to blog for you. Mike just seems like such a nice, laid back fellow. He's a very nice to have! A good bit of bragging is quite in order.

I also had a good laugh over you calling yourself "hardy." If you are "hardy" I wonder what on earth that would make me???

Lover of Sweets said...

Here here sister! Who would say such a thing? NOT liking it when people go on and on about their perfect husbands!? Well, it's good to like them, right? I sure like mine. You've read about it...he's totally my favorite. I enjoyed your blog Nanc. NIce nice Mike.

Nancy said...

P -- I guess the people that say that are the ones who don't like their husbands? But what can all of us that like our own do about that I ask you!?? I try to keep hush hush that secret -- that I like the man I married, but it keeps slipping out in these posts!!
(Although, I am glad to see that most of you who have commented here seem to feel the same -- you all love Mike. Wait, I mean, you all seem to love your husbands . . . and Jessica, I know you love your X husband with all of your little heart!!)

Anonymous said...

Funny stuff Nanc - Mike sounds like Jon. Seriously. Love it. It seems like they have the same sense of humor - I could picture Jon saying those exact same things. Thanks for sharing your cute relationship! So glad there are married people out there that really like each other - who knew? I was beginning to think that we were the only ones!

Anonymous said...

Yes, that Mike is a good one. I guess you have to keep him even if he is trying to turn you into Farmer Nan. It's always nice to feel like someone is looking out for you - and your blogging! Liz

BS and the Kids said...

You are such a great sales woman, I would buy Mike, he sounds like a great guy. Just a little curiousity, strange cravings and not feeling up to food?

Mugsy said...

Yo sista like I have said before...I love your husband...Funny stuff....Rock On...

Anonymous said...

Ok Nanc - looking over your posts again - I'm beginning to wonder if Mike has only one shirt - "Who are all these kids-and why are they calling me dad?". We know he has plenty of hats . . . . but shirts?

Salty Incisor said...

yeah queasiness??? what is that? Ok this is a good post and its funny that he keeps pressuring you about the animals etc... The time share concept is funny. I need Bman to go read this. Also its funny that he asked if he can blog for you.
P.S. I do like and love my husband even though I demean sp in my blog!

Nancy said...

OH Marzee is right, my poor husbadn, wont' someone buy him a shirt? Actually you can't and neither can I because he is very particular about "fit" and once one is right . . .
(Truthfully though, half the pics on here of him or us were taken on our trip to GA like 3 years ago becasue that is pretty much the last time we were somewhere with no kids -- meaning pics of us instead of kids like usual).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...