Monday, April 7, 2008

Poor Jim

Jim called us several times the other day. Of course, we don’t know Jim, and Jim doesn’t know us. Still, he called. He was looking for someone . . . someone he didn’t seem too surprised not to find. I wasn’t able to talk with Jim (which might explain why he called more than once). I only heard his lonely voice on our answering machine. He sounded so sad. He left no name of the person he was seeking – obviously assuming he’d reached the correct number. He merely said that he didn’t know if they’d be home or not, and then later, “It’s Jim again . . . I called earlier (sad pause) hoping to catch you (more pause).” Poor Jim. Why won’t this person call him back? Why won’t they talk to Jim? Well, I guess part of the problem is, they don’t actually know Jim called as Jim was accidentally calling us instead. I wish I’d been there to answer Jim’s call. To assure him that he wasn’t being ignored by the person he sought, that it was all a big misunderstanding . . . he’d simply dialed the wrong number, and surely, the individual he was seeking was likely waiting anxiously to hear from him! I should like to have given Jim that hope. Alas, I fear it would only have been false hope. From the sound in Jim’s voice, I have a suspicion that it came as no surprise to him that his calls weren’t being returned. I have the feeling this person might very well have no concern at all for poor lonely Jim trying so forlornly and with such little hope to reach them. I am rather upset with this mystery individual for being so thoughtless with poor Jim. I’m sure Jim deserves much better.

And there you have my assumptions over two incorrectly placed calls sadly blinking away for some attention on the answering machine in my empty kitchen.

9 comments:

Mugsy said...

It is so sad how easily our minds wander. And we end up creating scenerios that leave feeling so much about something or someone that may not even be close to what is real. O I think that this shows a lot about you Nanc. Your first assumption is so think "poor Jim" where mine would maybe have been "idiot Jim". See you are always so sweet and tender hearted. I want to be more like my sis always. I love you,Meg

jami v. said...

nancy-i love how concerned you are for "jim" - maybe he can feel your helpful concerning vibes for him, and that will make his day better ... :)

ps- whatever meg. you are nice. :) but you'd just think instead, "ok jason. quit calling my house and pretending to be jim. you've taken up enough space on my answering machine." :)

The San Diego Mills said...

Poor little fella. You have to wonder what his story is. We had a person calling our house for quite some time thinking that we had a daughter (who seemed to be quite the trouble maker) in middle school. I always wonder how the people calling got my number, was it by mistake or perhaps it's fate? Very intriguing, indeed!

Lover of Sweets said...

Oh I feel for Jim as well. Can't you stay put and just not go anywhere for the next week or so until Jim calls back? I'm kidding. Well, I hope Jim will move on and realize that he does deserve better. I don't get why he left 2 messages on your machine. Why did he not realize that he didn't know you? Maybe Jim isn't his real name but he just THINKS it is because he suffered a terrible accident and some temporary amnesia (don't worry he'll remember....eventually). When he woke from his week long coma the nurses lovingly began calling him Jim since he had no identification on him when he was found face down in the gutter. In his comatose sleep the nurses decided that he resembled the country singer Jim Reeves, thus the name.
I hope this is somewhat comforting Nancy...he WILL remember some day and then and only then will he stop calling you. Then and only then will he stop believing that you, Nancy, are his long lost love from 25 years ago when he was in the Peace Corps.
Good luck with that.

Nancy said...

Oh Priscilla, that was the best thing I've ever read. I couldn't stop laughing. Sweeeet.
P.S. Yah, it might help if I would actually put our name on our answering machine message instead of allowing that disturbing computerized woman say (all robotically) "Please Leave A Message"

Perla said...

one time a really old (sounding lady) left 4 messages on my phone for somebody (Edith or some thing). so very sad. we didn't have caller ID so i couldn't even try to call her back. my mind thought nearly the exact same things

Nancy said...

I'm glad you all think I'm an angel for being sad for poor Jim. I must be. And yes, Jessica, you must be a jerk (that made me laugh out loud that my blog makes you feel like a big jerk . . . ohh that was good).

BS and the Kids said...

Poor, poor Jim. I too am concerned for him and am wondering if he has called again. It makes you wonder who he was calling. . .

Anonymous said...

Love this bit. Love your heart. Love that you would take such a moment to consider poor Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...