Thursday, April 24, 2008

Daisy Sketch

I once saw a post from a friend's sister that talked about "blogging" verses "bragging" and sometimes I fear I have stepped into the realms of bragging . . . but this is my little writing space where I like to write happily about my life . . . so, sorry if I've dwelt in the realms of pride and vanity a little. In the past though it has mostly been about my husband and children though, and I think we are all entitled to a little of that. Now, however, I'm showcasing my own genius (I'm actually not sure what that means "my genius," but I like it). I never would have put this picture on here if it weren't that my sister and several friends keep hounding me to post what I've done artistically of late. The sad thing is, and this is the gospel truth (I love when people say that), I really wasn't joking when I said that the ants, cats, possums, etc. that I've drawn on my blog are the only drawing I've done in ages. It's the truth. It makes me so sad because I did love it once, and every now and then my friend Liz (who was in art classes with me from about 7th grade on) sends me a card or something that she has water colored and it is amazing and I wonder why I've let that gift slip away!

Here is where it all went wrong. In 12th grade my art class was one with very little direction, and I was one who liked to have a goal or a challenge or some type of instruction. Still, on my own, I faithfully spent an entire month of class days working on something other than the list of 100 excuses as to why me and my best friends (who were also in the class) were late nearly every day (we had a great time creating that list though). Anyway, it was a drawing from a picture my brother had taken of his three kids eating popsicles. It was a close up of their faces and they looked so cute and happy. I really captured them in my drawing I felt, and I really did take nearly a month to finish it. Unfortunately, upon its completion, I accidentally left it out on a desk in Mr. Colton's classroom. The next day it was gone. Of-course you'd hope some caring person had put it some place safely or even, as sad as it would be to lose it, someone loved it so much that they kept it, but Mr. Colton's class had a very bad reputation. The kids in there were bad (probably myself included) they loved to steal everything they could from the teacher when his back was turned, cover their desks in rubber cement or paint, paint on and destroy other people's work, etc. I searched and searched for my drawing. I was so heart sick about losing all that work that I even prayed and prayed that if it was anywhere out there it would be returned to me. Alas, it never was and my sad guess is that someone laughingly scribbled or painted all over it and tossed it in a dumpster. I was a bit tired of drawing for a spell after that . . . then came college with my fascination for all things biology, etc. I was busy and happy and I just didn't draw much anymore.

Anyway, to this sketch: My sister Megan took up sketching a year or so ago and was amazing at it. She kept calling me telling me to give it another go. I wasn't up for it, but finally, upon her hounding me a little extra one day, I did this from a picture I had of Daisy. It was with a #2 pencil on typing paper, so the blending etc. was not superior, but here it is. You'd like to think this motivated me to do more (as I was pleased with the outcome), but it requires enough energy that I have failed to even do my other children in the year or so since this! (And, may I add that Daisy really did look like this a few years back before we grew her bangs out, etc.)

13 comments:

Sara said...

Wow Nancy! That is a great sketch. Thanks for sharing!

Rhonda said...

That is such a sad story about your 12th grade art project! It makes me want to cry! I am so glad that you posted the sketch of Daisy. It is amazing! I LOVE hearing about your talents and don't think it is bragging at ALL! I never even knew you were into art, and now I know...so please, continue to share all the things you are good at. And those who may accuse you of bragging are probably just jealous!

Nancy said...

Oh I love you both!! Yeah, you did comment!! And Sara, I didn't even know you believed in commenting at all so that made me extra happy!! Thanks girls!

Jana said...

Despite that fact that this is probably one of my most favorite of your posts it is a very sad day for me....because I have realized that we may be at an end of our similarities and coincidental connections. This connection stems from the fact that I am no where near being as artistic as you - my new friend who uses words like "nary" and phrases like "homeland which we sprung from".

Do not put this gift under a bushel....it is far too wonderful to loose!

And that IS the gospel truth!

Anonymous said...

Awesome - it even looks like her! ;) Sometimes I dabble too - but half the time I don't think it looks enough like my subject matter. Drawing from photos always turns out better though.

Perla said...

Oh what sad memories of mr. colton's classroom. i took AP art. the thought of putting together a portfolio was a joke. i don't remember him really ever talking to us as a class once during that year. poor guy. poor art class. your poor art project.

But this DAISY IS FANTASTIC!!! So good!!! Why isn't it large so i can click on it and see it larger???

and who is that cute sara that commented?

The San Diego Mills said...

You can rest assured (although I'm sure you don't give a care) that the sister of mine who talked about blogging vs. bragging was certainly not speaking of you. Your posts are never braggy in any way and even if they were you'd have every right to brag about such a cool drawing! How sad that you lost your drawing back at good ol' OHS. It's sad when people are so dishonest. I left my purse in a classroom once in H.S. and the person who stole it even stole my make-up bag. Honestly, who would want to steal another person's make-up, YUCK!

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love, your Daisy drawing. I remember us looking all over for that picture you sadly lost. I think I was almost as mad as your were. Art is a very personal thing and it shouldn't be messed with!!! Please keep drawing. It brings a joy that can't be found in other things! Hmmm. where did we put that 100 resons list. I think Mr. Colton kept it so he could use it for his other students who were always late too. Liz

Nancy said...

Jana (am I supposed to call you something different? J-dude? Troy's sis?) -- I had to have something!! SOmething to match the singing nun skill.

Marzers -- I am with you. I can only draw from looking at a photo. I have no idea how to do it on my own.

Shan -- That cute Sara is Mike's sister Becky's daughter (who is married to Troy who is Jana's brother . . . so we are all connected somehow here in Bloggersville (except to David Santos of course).

Liz -- I should take it up again. I've been so impressed with you that you still do, I just feel so out of it and like I have no idea how.

Melissa -- This sharing make-up is gross thing makes the three towel thing make even more sense.

Nancy said...

P.S. Shan, I was saying Becky is married to Troy, not Sara is married to Troy. Sara just started college and she is their daughter. MIKE'S NIECE!! That was the easier way to say it wasn't it?!! Sheesh. I'm crazy.

BS and the Kids said...

Nanc,
I had NO IDEA. Wow. How can I be content knowing that as one of your very few roommates you never shared this talent with us!!!! I truly am amazed. I am surprised you never sketched Jill and I sleeping with pillows over our heads. What a great thing for Daisy to have when she is all grown up.

Mugsy said...

Finally! I can't believe how much I love that picture!

Lover of Sweets said...

Shut up! You are so artistically talented Nanc! You must must must by all means draw some more. I would love to see you sketch your girls from you blogging intro page where their hair is all statically on end (wait...I thought for sure "statically" was not a word, but the red "you are wrong" line did NOT in fact appear underneath! Hmmm...I'm looking it up)
Anywho...I love the sketch of Daisy! How long did it take you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...