Monday, June 20, 2011

Goldie’s Red Balloon

Goldie has a pet balloon. It’s a helium balloon and has lost a little of its original heliumatic strength, so it tends to hover and bob between three and six feet off the ground. And, it does seem to float about as if perhaps it were following Goldie – which might be considered creepy – but is seen by Goldie as signs of its affection for her. (Hey, as I Redballoonflies[1]typed that I recalled that Red Balloon movie we watched in elementary. Did everybody see that? This boy becomes pals with a large red helium balloon – it’s basically his best friend. Probably his only friend. Then some mean kids pop it. And it is very depressing except that then all the other helium balloons in the town unite and come flying to comfort him. And it ends with him being lifted away by the bunch of them. I’m not making this show up. I guess that ending was supposed to be happy, but I believe I always left the showing feeling rather empty inside.)

Anyway, I just mentioned Goldie’s balloon because it makes for a rather low maintenance pet for any of you who can get one to behave similarly. Of course I fear that old balloony’s life expectancy might be rather short, and I may soon find myself outside with a shovel conducting a small balloon funeral to a backdrop of Goldie’s sniffling tears.

5 comments:

Welcome! said...

Well now I have just read this entire page of your blogs and I am all sad and want to cry. I want to be your age again and pregnant and have little kids that actually want to do little kid things instead of laying in a body cast or playing on comp soccer teams and attending some match camp for the smartie pants kids....ohhhhh I all about sadness and longing now...goodbye....

Welcome! said...

I mean "math camp".....:(:(

Amy said...

speaking of balloons, had you come to the Carnie Fest as you should have, you would have seen the, newest, latest, contraption to spend your money on. It was a helium balloon with some sort of cool flashing light inside. I reaaly wanted one, and oh if I could have had it in red, well just imagine! We missed you but I sure understand.

Ogden High said...

First of all, I think it is awesome that Kathi, in her reminiscing, said that one of her kids just wants to lay in a cast all day...that is so cool!

I love your summer picks and I love summer for the same reasons you do! I start to panic around the first of July because you feel like summer is over. I am never ready for school to start!

Ogden High said...

Oh, by the way, we have the book version of the Red Balloon Movie. My kids love it. The interesting thing is that the book was written in post WWII France so the pictures interest me and I wonder what live was like for Parisians at that time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...