Friday, March 18, 2011

An Escaped Chicken and a Prayer

The other day after trying (for ten minutes -- in dumping rain -- with cars honking at me) to chase a flapping and frenzied chicken back into the safety of our fenced yard, I called my ten year old out to help.

Within about two minutes he had it in his hands: held safely and firmly with wings pinned down -- just like you must to keep them from flapping their way insanely free again.

"Wow! Abe! Great job!" I cheered. "I can not believe you caught it!" I continued; as we made our way, dripping wet, towards the gate in our fence. "That was amazing!"

"Mom," Abe said, in a slightly embarrassed tone, as if he didn't quite deserve the praise I was heaping upon him. "It wasn't just me." Pause. "I said a prayer." Oh . . . I was also thinking of doing that . . . I mean probably I was going to think of it . . . maybe in a few more minutes.

Geez, who are these kids? And who on earth has been raising them!

5 comments:

Krista said...

They always remember to pray for the little things. We always feel like it has to be the big things to pray about. I guess that's why we are instructed to "be child-like." Loved your story!

jami v. said...

awesome. don't you just love when kids are the teachers ?? :)

Perla said...

wow. that is awesome. so cool that he would pray first and so awesome that he would give the lord credit. i love that kid!

marz said...

I absolutely love that, "Mom, it wasn't just me. I said a prayer." That's so awesome that he has that understanding and even thought on such a spur of a moment - minor thing to pray for help to catch a chicken. Way to go parents! Way to go Abe! and while I'm at it - Way to go God! (so funny - to hear me say it that way - but Heavenly Father is pretty cool.)

marz said...

And of course - I love that he knew that he didn't do it alone - and quickly said as much.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...