Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Little Music

Friday night we tried to go to the movie Up as a family. Unfortunately Jesse found the theater to be thee single most terrifying place he had ever been thrust into and began sobbing hysterically (and he's not much of a cryer -- crier? The town crier or cryer? -- oh these thoughts spawning other thoughts -- how can I ever stay on track?). Anyway, I left and took him home to bed. I was sad to miss the show. Mike and the kids thought it was about the best Pixar yet. But, as I sat in my quiet home glancing through the Ensign, I didn't mind so much. One article quoted one of Oscar Wilde's characters saying, "After playing Chopin, I feel as though I had been weeping over sins that I had never committed, and mourning over tragedies that were not my own." I fell quite madly in love with that quote. It expressed in such moving wording how I already feel about reading novels and how I now believed I should most certainly feel about music (if I could ever claim to understand the world at all).

So, I immediately retired to my chambers (huh?) where I began plunking out, somewhat discordantly, Pachelbel's Canon in D and then a few hymns (initially with enough enthusiasm that I used my left hand . . . which eventually dropped out of participation). And while my own playing limitations didn't allow me, during this particular session, to weep, mourn, or soar with love or joy, I did have a few good moments of small inspiration concerning the raising of my children. So. That is all I really have to say. Hmm. Odd to end so abruptly -- not just here, in the typed word, but in my own head. That was that. All there was. Well, good day to you all then.

8 comments:

Mary Elizabeth Liberty said...

so have you finished War and Peace yet?? I'm almost there, if we had a book club on this one, William A. of Texas would be in it too.

Nancy said...

Mary, I'm so close (less than 200 pages -- which seems close after reading 1000). But what?? William read it? Sheesh! I saw him for the first time in several years just last weekend. I would have been curious to probe the thoughts of a young teenage boy on the novel if only I'd known!

Catherina said...

Thats a great quote!

Krista said...

That's some deep thinkin' - which I'm very incapable of momentarily. Possibly forever or never again. That's where my mind has been, too. Reading that weird little book in my head - I should have got the Cliff Notes. ;-)

Salty Incisor said...

No blogging and then blogilicious! I guess I may very well get the blogging bug again as summer is coming fast and life feels more relaxed.
wow I am sheltered without TV I had no clue that a Pixar movie was out. Must go! Good to see you again you know via internet. You must come see me in the verdant valley.

Perla said...

um...what about the inspiration you received for raising your children? i could use a little of that.

and that is a cool quote because sometimes music makes me feel the exact same way.

Amy said...

Nancy, I love the quote also, Alan worries about me when I start to read a "serious" type of book, because I so live them, that I often become one with the main character and Alan then may become the villian and so I will be mad at him for "no weason". Also, I participate far too much emotionally in movies. We just watched "Boy in Stripped Pajamas". Wow, that is so well, done, so powerful, and so very, very heartbreaking. I'm still not over the pain.

Mugsy said...

Sometimes I picture us sisters sitting around a beautiful home like in Room With a Veiw or Pride and Predjudice. Sadly I look and see you and Shan so belonging there with your love of knowledge , books etc. Mom in the corner nitting, Kathy at the piano and Amy enjoying some sort of puzzle. As I look a bit further I see a girl and say o what would I be doing in this beautiful home on this breezy afternoon? I look closer and see the girl, me of course, only not me, stupid Lydia. And then I abanden the dream quickly as I shudder, that, that is who I am in all of this....booo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...