Thursday, May 22, 2008

Brave (and lucky) Mr. Megablocks

The other day I was holding Penny whilst doing the dishes (that is the kind of thing you learn to do when you have a few kids -- nurse while making dinner, do your hair and make-up while keeping a small child next to you on the counter). Penny, herself, was holding Mr. Megablocks (as I fondly call him). He's the little guy who came, as you may have guessed, with my children's Megablocks (large Lego's basically). He has a little button on his shirt and when you push it he says, in the cutest electronic voice imaginable: "megablocks, " "uh-huh-huh" (that's a cute little laugh), or he makes a happy whistle sound. Penny finds Mr. Megablocks quite entertaining now that she has mastered the little button -- which is how she came to be holding him, while I was holding her, washing dishes.

For those of you who have read my previous posts, you may recall how horrifying I think it is when something has been left in the disposal as I unknowingly turn it on. So, I had just finished the last dish, cleaned up the sink, and turned on the disposal when poor Mr. Megablocks (perhaps startled by the sound) fell from Penny's hands (it may also be that he had become a bit slippery from being chewed on by said Penny). It was almost as if things went into slow motion. I couldn't catch Mr. Megablocks with my one-handedness, so he fell, hitting the divider in the middle of the sink, bouncing back up for what seemed an immeasurable amount of time before tilting toward the non-disposal side of the sink and falling directly into it's fairly safe drain. And there he lay, looking as you see him -- the ever cheerful Mr. Megablocks, waving his perhaps final goodbye to the world with his bravest face on. I was unnaturally relieved to see him there, in that safe drain. I quickly turned off the disposal and wiped the sweat from my brow. Brave little Megablocks. I don't think Penny even knew what his fate might have so easily been. I'm glad this situation didn't end (as it so easily could have) with a trauma that might have caused her to develop my disposal phobia at such a tender young age.

8 comments:

Perla said...

well done, sister. thanks for such a good laugh. love you!

Jana said...

Oh my! You have captured so well the thought of blocks, if blocks could talk! Yes, he is waving goodbye all the while feeling so blessed and lucky to be on the best side of the sink and he is so dang happy you are staring down at him. And the funny thing is, he CAN talk and if he could change his computer chip he would not be laughing - he would be praying and sending his thanks and love to you!

And by the way, Meg is now a sister of mine. And I am now referring to all of you as the Blah Blah Sisterhood (in mockery of the Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood). I'm doing this based on a comment she made on my blog yesterday. Yes, she, unlike Mr. Megablocks, has joined the darkside by coming to my blog like you and Perla! :) And it made me so happy to have yet another Allred sister to add to my belt. But, yes, I know, you have a big family and I have my work cut out for me. Let see, who's next?

Lover of Sweets said...

Oh that WAS worth a chuckle for sure! I hope Mr.Megablocks doesn't hold this against you...the fact that he could have been megamutilated. I hope hope hope that he doesn't start to mull this over in his tiny little block mind...how you were so careless as to let your little slippery-handed infant hold his precious life in those drooly hands. Beware, is all I'm sayin'.

Salty Incisor said...

that is funny

The San Diego Mills said...

How funny is that! I love that you took a picture of that cute lil' man just sitting there, safe and sound. I too am glad that you little lady won't develop the fear (that many of us seem to share) of the dreaded disposal!

Nancy said...

Dang you P!! I am already pretty much terrified of toys coming to life and killing their owners. Now look how you've ruined my relationship with dear little Mr. Megablocks!!! I will have to keep him constantly zipped up in his megablocks bag (and I'll still be afraid of him unzipping his little way out!!)

P.S. I love that you used "megamutilated."

Liz said...

I guess I'm glad that Mr. Megablocks made it in the safe side, but the morbid side of me was secretly hoping to see what would have happened to him had he gone straight down the disposal. I'm sure you would not have risked jeopardizing you free hand to rescue him.

Gracie J said...

Oh that one made me laugh a very hardy laugh! I love his innocent little face staring up at you and the fact that he surely could have met a terrible demise. That would have a been a terrible sound as he crunched away in that dispoal. I wonder what his laugh would sound like now???

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...