Friday, February 19, 2010
Also, figure in that he usually moves this constantly all day only with stops at every cupboard, bathroom, closet, dishwasher, garbage or drawar to quickly wreak some havoc, and you might understand a tiny bit of why, each morning, the mere prospect of trying to maintain order in my home for another full day seems daunting at best.
And yet . . . people or not . . . we like him loads all the same.
Friday, February 12, 2010
But, what with Valentines being the 14th, I think it might be a good tradition to have to tell your loved ones 14 things you love about them. So that is what I will ask Mike to do. Two things is something, but 14 things is better. Only, to be honest, I don't want that quite as much as I want a box of chocolates from Marie Cavanaughs with those mints and then some with strawberry and orange cream in the middle. So, I might be just as happy not knowing 14 things Mike loves about me if I have 14 things to eat that I love.
So, he can opt out of the 14 things game, but just in case I don't find 14 presents good enough to opt out, here are 14 things I love about Mike.
1. I love when the windshield is scraped free of frost when I come out in the morning.
2. I love Mike telling me not to rub my eyes so much just like my dad used to.
3. I love when Mike told me that Hereford cows are blind from living in dark caves in Herefordshire all of their lives (and, in case you are thinking, "really?" I will also tell you that he said they could hang upside down from the cave ceiling by their hooves . . .).
4. I love my memory of Mike stepping unexpectedly out of his parents car in our driveway late one Summer night (after 4 1/2 months living apart and about six weeks of not even seeing his face). It was the happiest surprise of my life.
5. I love Mike's arms.
6. I love an image I have of Mike in his black construction boots, a tan ball cap and a black T-shirt walking up the walk to my house for our second date.
7. I love Mike sweeping the floor when he doesn't think it one bit needs sweeping just to make me happy because he knows I do think it needs sweeping.
8. I love my running poem Mike composed for me before my last marathon.
9. I love Mike always being nice to everyone.
10. I love Mike being able to laugh about how tough he must look at the gym after I dye nearly all his white socks and gym shirts pink by accidentally washing them with something red.
11. I love Mike buying me three roses for our anniversary and happily telling me how he'd gone in to the florist shop with a "devil may care" attitude and said, "give me a dozen of your best roses," and then, when they told him the price said, "mmm, how about half a dozen?" and then, "I'll take three." (Yes, I really did love it -- it was very funny to hear him tell and I loved my three roses way more than I've ever loved a dozen).
12. I love the shape of Mike's teeth (yes, the shape of his teeth) and, as long as we're in the mouth area, I love his voice (which I know originates not in your mouth really, but still).
13. I love Mike knowing and so often buying me my favorite treats (and knowing and not minding that I ADORE treats).
14. I love Mike being able to fix pretty nearly anything and everything that might ever need fixing.
And, kind of like a baker's dozen (only a Valentine's 14), I will add one more.
15. I love how when I talk to him on the phone while he's at work, I can always tell wether or not co-workers are present by the amount of animation in his voice. Sometimes it is fun to say shocking things to him when I can tell they are around just to hear him calmly respond, "Well, that's interesting."
I am now going to practice telepathy again by thinking REALLY hard for Mike to come read this blog post. Kind of so he'll see these nice things in print that I've probably already told him many times to his face, but also, maybe, so he'll know what I want for Valentines.
Friday, February 5, 2010