Saturday, July 27, 2019

Before Abe Left -- Blessing Day

The Sunday before Abe left was Starling's blessing day. It's the loveliest thing ever -- Mike presenting one of our tiny babies to the Lord in a circle of prayer -- pronouncing the name that we have chosen for her mortal sojourn and extending blessings for her life. Starling's grandpa Alma was also there in the circle. And her own oldest brother was able to stand in the circle as well. That was a cool thing for me -- watching my oldest help in blessing my youngest. It bound her arrival in our family and his upcoming departure in a beautiful -- if not slightly painful -- way for me. 

My mom with her 10th child . . . and her 10th child's 10th child!
 Starling with all three of her living grandparents.

That same Sunday we prepared our last big Sunday dinner with Abe still here. We had our staples -- potatoes and gravy, rolls, and Jell-O; but we also added corn-on-the-cob and instead of a roast, Mike grilled steaks. Sunday dinners are already one of the times during the week when I most feel Abe's absence.

Also. A week or two later we had Mike's parents over for dinner. Mike's mom had me put Starling back in the blessing dress (quite a few of her grandkids have worn it -- including three of my girls) to try and get a good shot with the dress fully spread out. 

That sounds simple enough. And I even assumed, after snapping a few pictures, that we must have gotten a good one. But . . . it turns out we failed. Haha. Dear Starling could not be stopped from grabbing handfuls of dress and pulling it every which way and gathering lace-filled fists to her mouth. Mike would try to hold her hands while Gayle straightened the dress then they'd quickly move and I'd snap a picture before they'd have to come right back in and try again. And, in the end, I realized I still didn't have the "dress fully splayed out" picture. I guess that's what you get by blessing your baby closer to four months than one!
 (I made this little headband back when Daisy was blessed . . . before I gave up on all things crafty. We couldn't keep it on her head during her actual blessing day. But at least we got it on her for these pictures. Even if she wouldn't leave her dress well enough alone.)
Dear sweet angel girl. How I love my Starling Eliza (and how I adore the name that felt it simply must be hers.)

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Well. She is such a little cupcake in that dress. No wonder she felt it must be grabbed and eaten!

Becca said...

How did I never see this one? I think the pictures with Dad's and grandma's hands are even sweeter than with a perfectly-splayed-out dress. Starling has such a look of mischievousness in these ones--it's delightful!

Also, reading your posts about Abe being gone is breaking my heart. Because I have my own, sweet, kind, senior boy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...