Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Bear Lake. Tiny Disaster Version.

We arrived at our Bear Lake cabin several weeks ago to discover a completely flooded basement.

Photo Feb 18, 3 02 57 AMPhoto Feb 18, 3 03 38 AM
(If
you can’t quite find a 9th child in the pictures above it’s because Daisy was sick and sleeping in the cabin.)

For a moment I lost the will to live. OK. Not really. But it was late and cold. Mette was crying for my attention, Hans’s diaper was in a desperate state, and he was needing nursed, we hadn’t fed anyone dinner; and I just did not want our basement to be flooded! I didn’t want our cute little place to smell damp and mildewy. I didn’t want Mike to leave us and drive for four hours to get fans and shop vacs back at home. I didn’t want our wall next to the basement window where the water poured in to look wavy and warped. I didn’t want all of our carpet to be ruined and dirt and scum to cover the bathroom and laundry room floors. I didn’t want our kids sleeping area gone or to arrange makeshift beds all over the non-flooded portion of the cabin. I wanted to turn around. Go back home. And pretend it never happened.

Photo Feb 18, 3 05 06 AMPhoto Feb 18, 3 06 15 AMPhoto Feb 18, 3 08 43 AMPhoto Feb 18, 3 10 05 AM

But, as usual, Mike stayed calm, comforted me, and went to work with a level head. And before long I was able to simply shrug and see our miniature disaster as one of those fairly ordinary inconveniences that are typical of life.

Photo Feb 18, 5 53 54 AMPhoto Feb 19, 1 58 11 PMPhoto Feb 18, 8 25 18 AM

We still watched movies, ate treats, went on one rather freezing walk to the lake, and Mike and the older four even still fit in the ski day they’d planned (though they had to postpone it from a Saturday to a Monday).

IMG_4230_edited-1IMG_4246_edited-1IMG_4259_edited-1IMG_4253_edited-1IMG_4254_edited-1IMG_4262_edited-1IMG_4276_edited-1IMG_4264_edited-1IMG_4277_edited-1IMG_4279_edited-1

And, in the end, we DID come home, and I HAVE been able to pretend it never happened. There’s no missing carpet. No unrepaired walls. No filthy floors. At least there aren’t until the next time we go to the cabin. . . .

3 comments:

Kara said...

Ohhhhhhhhh maaaaaaaaaannnnnnn. πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”

Gayle Harris said...

I am so, so, so sorry! Water in basements is one of my worst nightmares. It's happened far too many times in my life, but even once is once too many. I hope the cleanup won't be too awful.

Marilyn said...

I totally understand that "please, can't this just...unhappen?" feeling. Ugh!! Such a bad, sad thing to happen. But look how skillfully you dealt with it! As you always do, when you have to. Too bad it will have to stretch out over multiple visits though, and you can't just have it OVER with! 😩

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...