Monday, January 31, 2022

Starling (and her clothes?)

Starling's hair is pretty much always messy because ... at nearly all times it is being rubbed and tangled back and forth by a blanket draped over her head. (And it doesn't help that one of the things she has somehow claimed as a special blanket is an odd little pink sleeping bag of sorts with velcro here and there on it!)


Also, there is almost nothing she will willingly wear. This extends to dresses, shoes, pajamas, everyday clothes and ... hair accessories. You might be thinking something like: "Well, you are the parent, you just make her wear what you want." Or you may be imagining up a slight resistance that is easily overcome. But any attempted forcing of any of those things results in such thrashing hysteria (and could only be accomplished with such intense coercion and with such sobbing/clothes-tearing afterwards) that ... I mostly just sigh and let her wear her red princess pajama nightgown, her Dora nightgown, her butterfly pajamas or her pink pants and pink striped shirt. (Also I have never had a child this young have such strong color preferences. She primarily wants pink or yellow.) Anyway. It's fine. But I just ... well ... she is probably the last little girl I will ever dress. And what about the darling red dress I bought at Baby Gap when she was a newborn that I was holding onto just for when it would fit her at this age? What about the soft blue dress with stars and constellations on it? What about all the tiny sandals passed on from Summer and Mette? What about the darling sweater she could be wearing to church? Or the little navy pea-coat passed on from her sisters (the one that will soon outgrow all of my children forever)? What I ask you?

But never mind. She often comes up to me (all wrapped in blanket) and very gently and quietly (so quietly I have to lean in close) says, "Will you hold me?" And then snuggles into my shoulder. And today, when I was hugging Mike, she reached for me and said, "Can I have my mommy?" (As if to say, "Excuse me, dad, but if you are quite finished, I'd like a turn with mom now.") And also ... sometimes her hair looks like this after a nap:

I really just adore this little person so much. She brings me such enormous joy. And it is so fun to let her be the baby for so long! (I've always had to bump my children up into a stage of slightly more self sufficiency by this age due to the arrival of another baby, and I've enjoyed seeing her bask in that enviable spot of attention and adoration [from all of us] for so long.) 

(And look! Here she agreed to the unicorn shirt for a day! ...)

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Well…she likes to keep her hair modestly covered, at least! How demure of her. It does seem QUITE hard to bear about the dresses. But I had to let out a little snort at "you are the parent, you just make her wear what you want." HAHAha. Yes. That is the sort of thing I would have thought…once. In happier, more innocent days…before I become the scarred, battle-hardened veteran that I am. "Make her wear what you want." *Hollow laugh*

Anyway, you most certainly ought to hold her. Whenever she decrees it! Mike or no Mike!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...