Monday, August 21, 2023

Dream Homes

Summer, Mette and Hans drew out their future homes the other day.

As I washed the dishes and tidied the kitchen I listened to their chatter--occasionally commenting on some of the more extraordinary home additions.

A few snippets I paused to jot down:

Me (as they discussed the various children they would have in these dream homes): I'm glad you guys want to have a family. That makes me really happy. Satan is trying hard to make people not want families anymore because he knows how important they are.

Hans: I will always want a family! I'm not letting Satan get away with that!

Mette: Mom, can you live with me when I'm married?

Me: Maybe, if I need some help.

Summer, interjecting: Mette! Make a room for old people!

(Those old people she is referring to were clearly me and Mike, but I'm not complaining. Mette did make a room for "old people" in her house. It had a massage chair for me. One for Mike. And a closetful of "fancy chocolates".)

Summer: And this is my candy room.

Me: A candy room?

Summer: Well, my kids can't just eat it all the time. (Turning to Mette and Hans) It will be kind of like how mom has candy everywhere but we can't just always eat it.

(Rather telling. I do often have "candy everywhere". [Face palm.] I am my Grandma Wallace’s granddaughter.)

Summer: And if my kids ever have a messy room, I'll just tell them, "A messy room is a sign of creativity."

(Hans tried to agree, but faltered. Too much of me in him. "Yah," he said. "Well ... they need to keep these areas clean, but they can sometimes get their rooms messy. ... A litte bit. ... If they clean it up.")

Hans (showing me his picture): Here's my wife turning on some water to fill up the hot tub, and here I am looking stressed because I'm tired (where would he have ever learned that [face palm again]?), and I'm walking into the kitchen to get some candy.

And that's all for now. (Though I did think Summer's bathroom full of stalls was pretty clever. We do often have trouble with people in bathrooms when other people need them around here!)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...