Sunday, June 11, 2023

Abundance a Supply for Want

2 Corinthians 8:14 has been on my mind often the past few years. 

"... that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want ..."

I think of it all of the time. It's double highlighted and underlined in orange and screenshotted permanently in the photos on my phone. 

And it's the farm that first made that scripture leap out and stick in my mind. That and our parents.

This place of great abundance has filled want over the years. Alma and Gayle have taken it and made it into something that reached beyond what it was--a spot of land where alfalfa could be cut and cattle could feed--to something much bigger. They made this piece of ground a place of gathering, and forging connections among their grandchildren, and laughter, and memories.


And because of that, I can't now think of living there and letting it simply be ... a place to live. It feels like they set it apart already for some larger purpose than that. And I want to extend all they began by making a place of welcoming, refuge, enjoyment and peace.

I think of my own parents and how fully they consecrated all that was theirs in that way. They truly made our home at "Polk's End" a place that could "fill want" in others.

I feel that giving out that was in the souls of my parents and Mike's like a spark ignited in me now. A spark they lit that is growing more and more into a "burning fire ... in my bones". I don't even know fully how yet, but, increasingly, I want any abundance I have to be a supply for the want of others.

2 comments:

Montserrat said...

Isn't it wonderful to know of places like this, where abundance is shared? And now you get to be a part of it and carry it on. It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from The Hobbit describing Elrond's house.

“His house was perfect, whether you liked food, or sleep, or work, or story-telling, or singing, or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all. Evil things did not come into that valley.

“I wish I had time to tell you even a few of the tales or one or two of the songs they heard in that house. All of them. . . grew refreshed and strong in a few days there. Their clothes were mended as well as their bruises, their tempers, and their hopes. Their bags filled with provisions light to carry but strong to bring them over the mountain passes. Their plans were improved with the best advice.” (J.R.R. Tolkein, The Hobbit, 61)

Nancy said...

Yes! I really love that! It’s perfect. And it reminds me as well of D&C 124:23

“And it shall be for a … house that strangers may come from afar to lodge therein; therefore let it be a good house, worthy of all acceptation, that the weary traveler may find health and safety while he shall contemplate the word of the Lord …”

I think my mom could have that scripture and the Elrond quote framed above her door. And Mike’s parents tacked to the gate of the farm. And I do hope to learn how to be the kind of person who can create such a place!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...