Wednesday, January 8, 2020

A December and Even a November

Although one wouldn't know it from the quiet little number of blog posts in this space of late, there was in fact a full December around here -- complete with its Christmas and wedding anniversary and birthday celebrations (though one of the birthday boys was … in El Salvador). There was decorating and there were reindeer visits and presents and Christmas lights. All the things. (Mixed in with some miserable work obligations for Mike that made for some long days for both of us.) But! It makes me sad when I think of all the separate things that I might, had the time existed for it, have written full entries about. Little glimpses exist in letters to Abe (things like this after-Christmas paragraph from a letter to Abe):

We are currently at that post-Christmas stage of having everyone’s toys in designated spots on the kitchen table. The spots are slowly shrinking as toys find their way to bedrooms and the toy closet. Hansie got two fancy Schleich dinosaurs. Sadly he mostly feeds them play doh and it’s very difficult to fully remove from their teeth. And dad bought a big Lego Hogwarts set that he had just be “to” me and him. (Basically so no one claims it to themselves and we could let everyone build it. The three older girls mostly built it this year, but we are thinking we will take it apart in a week or so and pull it out for kids to build every Christmas. So ... plan on building Hogwarts on Christmas Day of ‘21!)

But there's much more we'd all like to remember but that I can't possibly find the time for now. But I guess that's kind of a lovely thing -- for one month to have contained SO MANY THINGS I want to remember forever. 

And December wasn't even the only month! There was a November before it! With a Thanksgiving and a TRIP to FLORIDA with just me and Mike (impossible, I know, and yet it did happen!). How is it that I have never written about that? Now I might never remember the little moment on the plane when I saw Mike reach up and hand the headphones he'd been using to a woman travelling with a very frail and elderly man who seemed confused about the lack of sound coming from their small movie screen. Except I suppose I'll remember it now. As I just wrote it. But there were other parts! Unwritten!

In any case, I can't go back now. Forward is our watchword (???). But, at least there are pictures. Like these ones from a little fun Goldie and I had with all the CHRISTMAS LIGHTS in our house! So many lights! (We had our biggest tree yet! 17-plus feet! I can't tell you how dark and empty our house feels now that we've taken Christmas down!

Or the rest of these from our visit to Santa's reindeer (who always comes, mid-December, to visit the park across the street from us:

And … more pictures. But I fear I shall crash blogger if I post them all in this one post. So. More in coming posts (accompanied by a sad lack of worthy commentary).

6 comments:

Becca said...

I love that fancy Schleich dinosaur eating Play Doh. And those Christmas tree photos holding the light are AWESOME.

Trip to Florida sans offspring? Sounds like the perfect getaway.

PS- Truman gave me a Lego set and it was the first time it was the ONLY Lego gift of Christmas, because he knows my Christmas is not complete without Legos. It was the thoughtfullest thing.

Kara said...

I know. I know! I got to a point where I was only posting pictures to my personal blog and not writing about them and then I just stopped. Too much and. It enoguh time. So now I aim to keep up my IG as my family journal. And I have yet to print any of it. Seven years of it lol. But I take confidence in the fact that it’s stored in a few places. 🤷‍♀️

Marilyn said...

Ha, I gave Sam the Lego Millenium Falcon for the same reason! We haven't built it yet, though.

I love the pictures of Goldie and the lights so much (I always want to recreate those kind of pictures, but I've never been able to figure it out to my satisfaction--and I didn't even try this year), but I was waiting on pins and needles to see your WHOLE 17-FOOT TREE!! And then...I never got to! How very sad. :( I can't even imagine such a thing. Our (fake) one is 12 feet and I feel like nothing could be taller!

I don't care HOW infrequently you have to update here, just don't stop!!! Your posts and pictures are so beautiful that even a few at a time are wonderful, and will be precious to you later.

Nancy said...

That Truman! Best boy ever! I love that he would know to do that!

Nancy said...

Oh my goodness! It’s so sad! I haven’t printed my photo albums or my blog for ten years! Sigh sigh!!!! But ... like you said ... at least it exists out there ... in the universe. 😄 And I have done chat books, so that’s so something.

Nancy said...

Ha! I love that you had the same idea with the Legos! It worked perfectly here. The girls set it up and after a week we took it apart and put it in the closet to be novel for someone else to put up next year! With their own sets, they just build them and never take them apart to build again. :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...