Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Anders Turns Eight (And an Unglamorous Stroll through Target)

Thursday I wandered through Target with about a hundred babies in my cart, and trailing behind me, and wandering off and ignoring calls to come back. I was pushing the cart with one hand (in none too straight of lines) and dragging a full crib mattress along with the other hand. It all felt very déjà vu-ish. I’d done this same awkward maneuver before. Kids. A cart. And a baby mattress. (Only, apparently, I hadn’t learned any sort of lesson.) 

A lady in my ward saw me there. “You’re amazing,” she said. 

And perhaps she even meant it. 

But . . . when you are dragging a mattress along and veering off course and losing children left and right “you’re amazing” feels oddly similar to . . . a lot of other less complimentary things.

The mattress wasn’t actually what brought me to Target. It was Anders’ eighth birthday, and, unfortunately, it is not surprising for me to be looking for presents on actual birthdays . . . or to be crossing fingers that an Amazon package will manage to arrive before the day ends. (This day I was doing both.)

The afternoon before his birthday, as we discussed the type of ice cream and dinner Anders might want, a shocking thought suddenly occurred to him. “Wait,” he exclaimed, and, as if he didn’t quite believe it could be true but also suddenly felt certain it must, “Do I have one of those? Like one of those . . . being born stories?”

And he did! He did actually have “one of those being born stories”!

So I told him about waiting and waiting and his due date coming and going. And about watching General Conference and wishing he would come. And about the doctor getting a bit nervous about how big he was measuring. And about going in hesitantly on a Monday morning to be induced only to have Anders say, “Oh fine then,” and begin his journey here before the doctors ever started a thing. And I told him about his arrival (weighing in at nearly ten pounds). And about how we named him Anders partly because he had ancestors named Anders and partly because I’d loved the name ever since I was small (from hearing it each time my mom read our worn copy of “The Cap that Mother Made” [the copy that is now in his "special box"]). But mostly I told him about the few moments in the stillest and darkest part of the morning when I had just woken and everything felt very . . . thin — like a wall you hadn’t even known was there suddenly turning to clouded glass in front of you. I felt bustling. And unmistakable excitement. And farewells. And a cord of connection to relationships beyond memory. I told him how I tried not to move — hardly dared breathe — knowing how quickly my earth-bound senses would take back over and block that window. 

And now? He’s eight full years here! He’ll be baptized this weekend. He's excited. He's been praying his baptism "would come soon". And telling me he is more excited for that day than his birthday even. And he's been told what he's promising. And what God is promising in return. But, he's young. And he won't yet fully understand what it means -- covenanting to remember Christ and to try and act as He would in all his thoughts and actions. He won't understand the full sacredness or significance of what it will allow for him. But, God is patient, and ready to tutor him, and, like me, he will grow to understand it more fully. And eventually he will look back over his life and be amazed at the path this set him on and to see the direction and strength (given directly from God) that he was constantly given to do for others and to become for himself far beyond his own capacities could ever have allowed. As I am only beginning to understand it all more perfectly myself, I feel particularly awed that he is here -- at this tiny speck of a moment in his eternity -- that has significance beyond what our mortal minds can know.

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

Oh little Anders. I love all these thoughts; I love how Heavenly Father leads us all along so patiently as we don't understand and don't really even know what we're agreeing to--when we agree to it--but it sets us on that path anyway and it is just what we need--just what He knows we need. It's amazing. Miraculous, really.

And goodness, you had me laughing with "“you’re amazing” feels oddly similar to . . . a lot of other less complimentary things." I get that "you're amazing" soooooo often. Sometimes it sends me almost into tears, well meant as it is! :)

Nancy said...

Ah yes! You write about this very thing once! How He expects us to go ahead and commit to these enormous things before we are ever really possibly ready — which seems strange to our reasoning, but, in His, seems to be that He knows it will be the very thing eventually allowing us to BE ready (to live fully what we committed to live before we understood it — haha).

Linn said...

Can I be one of your children and you can write lovely things about me and I can just feel so good and sweet and warm and light? You don't have too many offspring already, do you?

Truly, the sweetness is just something else. I hope those amazing kids of yours read everything you wrote about them, over and over, and feel how loved, adored and special and unique they are. What a gift for a mother to give to each of her children. Thanks for the beautiful example friend. xoxo

Nancy said...

Linn — Your kids only need to scroll through their morher’s Instagram account for about three minutes and they will have no doubt about how utterly cherished and amazing they are!!

Gayle Harris said...

As always, another beautiful and thought-provoking blog about one of those amazing children of yours. I agree with your friend Linn. I'd like you to write a beautiful blog about me and my beginnings, along with lovely photographs. However, when I was born there were no blogs, and only a few scattered black and white very small photos. My mother did like to write, though, and some day I'm sure I'll learn about what she would have written if there had been such a thing as a blog. And she loved to sing, so I'm sure she would have sung to me. She's been gone 48 years. It's going to be a sweet reunion one of these days.
I also loved your blog about Abe. How fun to be able to talk to him so frequently! I cherished my Christmas and Mother's Day calls when our kids were on their missions, and it was very costly back then ($200 to $400 a times), depending how soon we could stand to hang up.
Anyway, I love all y our posts!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...