Monday, May 23, 2011

Penny’s Birthday

This little girl turned FOUR on Saturday.IMG_6439

I well remember the whole business of her getting here – four years ago. As those things go, it seems like it was just the other day. It seems impossible how much has changed in life since her tiny arrival. IMG_6154_edited-1IMG_6445

We had driven down from WA the week prior to her due date. Looking back, that strikes me as a rather crazy thing to have done – carted our little family 730 miles away from our home just in time to have a baby. But, Mike would be able to take a week of vacation plus two weeks of sick leave once I had Penny, so it just seemed like too perfect of a way to see our families for three whole weeks. IMG_6121_edited-1 

Her due date found us in the emergency room . . . only not for her arrival, rather for nearly three year old Goldie to have a giant gash in her eyebrow glued shut (she’d managed to run in front of a cousin swinging at a Sunday family dinner just in time to get a kick to the head). I must admit, I was more than a little disappointed to be in the hospital on my due date for a very different reason than having the baby I’d been counting down the days for..IMG_6283_edited-1IMG_6446

Penny must have felt badly about that because she managed to kick herself into action in the wee hours of the following morning – arriving shortly after 7:00 am.IMG_6375

It’s odd to think that each of my kids started out like that – new and helpless and with no real spot yet carved for them in our family. They just came and sort of squished everything over a notch with out us knowing at all what type of a little person they would become. What their personality would be. How they would interact with the rest of us. How they would even learn to sleep through the night.

IMG_6157IMG_6374

And then, somehow, they are suddenly four and sneaking out of their bed at night to put on a different outfit; and running in the house to yell for help because they managed to get freshly cut lawn grass not only all over their bodies, but in their mouth as well; and printing a picture to color off of the computer all by themselves; and crying because they can’t find a certain stuffed animal, or because a sister won’t give them a turn on the swing. 

Happy 4th birthday Penny Pearl. We sure love you!

IMG_6481And, on a totally unrelated note. Goldie decided at one point on Saturday to gift herself to Penny.

What a bunch a silly girls I’ve gone and gotten for myself.

4 comments:

Marzee said...

Cuteness! I didn't realize she and Eli were born so close together. His bday is the 29th. Anywho . . . did I ever tell you that Penny and Goldie look almost like twins to me?

jami v. said...

oh, how i love this post! i love your silly girls who seem to be just like their mom ... i love the pics (you are seriously such a great photographer) ... i love your words. you really do write so well ... and it's so true that these little people come and just move things over until their place is secure and it seems like life never existed without them. yes. love the post. as always ... and happy bday to miss penny!

Madsens said...

Oh I remember that time well. I was kindof sad you left and went to Utah to have that baby!! I guess it made sense (kind-of:) and I do remember her birthday being right after Ashton's. I still can't believe she's 4!

Perla said...

too bad i called penny a day early and then not on her real birthday. she probably wouldn't have talked to me but i do love her so and can't believe she is already four.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...