Monday, September 28, 2026

Mooing (and miscellany)

There has been a tremendous amount of mooing from the cows our neighbor keeps here lately. I really enjoy seeing cows directly outside my window. (Though perhaps sometimes it's a bit too directly. See image of an escaped calf staring straight in at me below.)

And I really don't even mind hearing them. (Sometimes I even like it.) But mooing is really best in small doses. And the mooing from around here, of late, has been in very large doses. 

Not that I blame them. All the babies have been fitted with large plastic rings in their noses to interfere with them nursing. And their mothers are all walking about in great discomfort just mooing and mooing and mooing. Mike tells me that, sad as this seems, keeping the calves with their moms during weaning is less stressful on the animals than simply separating them, but my goodness it doesn't make for a quiet farm!

On a positive note, our own calf is still happily with his own mother and I don't know that we will ever have to force weaning on him. (Of course ... what do I know? This is all still new to me.)

Other things?

This silly person. (I get sad sometimes thinking about all the darling pajamas she has that she won't wear.)

Hans up and made himself this shirt the other day. Dear kid.

Part of Wellsville was translated (taken directly up to heaven) recently. At least that's what I assume was happening here. It's a shame we are on unincorporated county land and, therefore, couldn't go up with the righteous of Wellsville.

I don't think we will get quite as much fog at the farm as we did at the rental. (When we lived at the rental I would often drive out of it right as I hit the bridge after the road to the farm.) But I was happy to wake up to this the other morning. It reassured me that we'll still get our share of mists and fogs. 

We, none of us, know exactly what made Starling draw this Darth-Vader-looking fellow, but we all love "Derfermaddek".

Anders joined cross-country this year. It's been such a great way for him to start high school--feeling involved and part of a team, etc.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...