Monday, January 16, 2023

The second person to tell me that today.

Just in case you didn't already know what a stinker I married:

Yesterday Mike came out of our walk-in closet just as I was going in. We paused for a brief hug, and I kissed him on the cheek a few times. "I miss your beard," I said, "but I like being able to kiss your face."

Without missing a beat Mike replied, "You're the second person to tell me that today."

Hansie had a birthday. 6. I like when Summer, Mette and Hans have their ages all lined up in a row. (They are currently 6, 7, and 8.) It's a miraculous way for me to see the passage of time--that little triplet of numbers shifting ever upward from 1, 2, and 3 to 3, 4, and 5 to 6, 7 and 8.

I love the 3D printed gift Jesse gave to Hans. It's a little egg you open with a miniature car carrier inside. The wheels even turn!

Speaking of Jesse. ... (You may recall my mentioning that our computer area will never be appearing in any home decor magazines. At least not as long as Jesse lives in our home.) Here he sits with the extra monitor for his raspberry pi, his 3D printer, and a bunch of miscellaneous electronic parts. 

Nearly every day I grumpily call out (to any child who might be within earshot--even though I know they won't listen) something like, "Someone toss Shasta outside!" or "Someone put Biscuit out!" and "These are outside cats! They don't need to be inside!" (They have heated pads and a heated tiny cat house out there for crying out loud!) 

And every day I find them like this:

Abe finally had a successful ice-climbing day with Devin and Melissa. It was particularly exciting for him as the county's entire search and rescue team happened to be out doing training exercises nearby. Abe thought it felt adventurous having a helicopter hovering--wind from its propellers whipping in your face--feet from where he was climbing. And I thought ... it seemed a pretty safe way to have my son practice ice-climbing: with all the people best equipped to rescue him right nearby.

Dais and Gold came home for the long weekend. They took the kids sledding at the park. And then took them to the store to pick out Valentine's. Such good sisters. These little kids don't even know how novel it is to have older siblings to take them on adventures. They just think it's normal! (I know because I grew up with the same good fortune. And it never occurred to me that it was a pretty unique and lucky way to grow up.) (But why isn't Goldie in the picture???)

I like these little feet just kicking up on me while I journal:

And this little face--squished to sleep in my arms:

And these people coloring on my bed. (But aaahh! A cat again!)

And this little girl staring thoughtfully outside as she eats a go-gurt:

And ... all of the rest of these things:
(Penny took these pictures of Starling and Hans.)

2 comments:

Linn said...

Mike's reponse...Hahahahaha!!! I about died when I read that. Quick humor makes me so happy.

And then...just these pictures. These humans that you are raising are something else. As are you.

Just love you so Nancy friend. You sure are doing a stellar job at mortality.

Nancy said...

He does have a very quick wit. And it’s a good thing because sometimes him making me laugh is the only thing standing between me and crumbling into a ball of eternal despair. Haha,

And thank you Linn. You are always so encouraging. There were several times when I’m quite sure my kids could say I was NOT doing a stellar job. But words like yours give me hope that, despite those failings, maybe I somehow still am.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...