Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Cleaning Alone, Celestial Rearing, Track Meet Busts, and "As the Good Shall Grow"

Saturday evening Mike took all of the kids (even the tiny, unpredictable one) to play in his parents' backyard while he worked on some garden boxes. I stayed behind to get the house cleaned up for the night -- which should be a punishment akin to being sent to bed without your supper it seems (supper? does anyone use that word anymore?). But it felt ... a delight; like grocery shopping by yourself; and I wonder what teenage me would have thought had she known her future definitions of indulgent luxury.

A flyer, advertising our stake's upcoming women's conference, was recently left taped to my front door. I perused it quickly and noticed that one of the speakers had been given the topic of "Raising Celestial Teens in a Telestial World". 

I shuddered at the thought. 

Wait. That sounded funny. I didn't shudder at the thought of raising Celestial teens in a Telestial world (though yes, that too sometimes! trembling and shuddering! ha!). But what I meant to say was that I shuddered at the thought of being given such a speaking assignment! 

I thought of the many faithful and powerful women I know -- utterly courageous examples who are doing every good thing ... while seeing, as of yet, very little positive Celestial result in their parenting. These women I love are pillars to me. And I know their efforts are not wasted. Their persevering with those they love through the messy mortal living set before them will work in the souls of their children. And will be answered with unthinkably glorious eventual joys. I am sure of this. And it gives me hope when I consider what the road ahead in my own parenting might entail. But I imagined myself up there -- glibly giving a Celestial to-do list to these women who have battled so long in the trenches for their hope and faith and wisdom and, well, it made me very glad I was not the one speaking on such a complex topic!

But! I do catch beautiful/starkly contrasted glimpses of that ideal every now and then. 

Last Wednesday Goldie, Penny, Jesse and I were awake by 5:00 a.m. It was wholly dark (other than the light from our kitchen) and the wind was battering the house and shaking the windows. But there was a hushed excitement in the air as I quietly French braided the girls' hair and gave Jesse his eye drops. They were heading to the temple for the first time in over a year.

My mom had given us a little envelope full of names of our Norwegian ancestors -- including 16 men for Jesse. Knowing the temple usually only allows five to be done at a time (and knowing appointments were booked back to back), I opened the envelope -- intending to remove the top five cards of men to send with Jesse so he wouldn't misplace the rest. But then I felt a distinct anticipation that seemed to exclaim, "Oh no! Don't do that! What if? What if we can all get our work done? We've waited so long! Send us all!" And so I did.

It was, of course, completely dark when they left. And that wind I mentioned was tearing about so wildly that I thought school might get cancelled, and I worried a little over Goldie driving and over possible power outages shutting the temple down.

So I lingered in the doorway as the three of them climbed into our old white truck, turned on the engine and the headlights, and pulled away from our house. The dark and the wind seemed extra ... I don't know ... fierce and lonely and consuming -- like all the darkness and turbulence of the world whipping about outside my home. 

But around that little truck? There seemed to be a circle of protection; of light and power that allowed my three, small kids to faithfully carve their way forward, through the darkness, and on to accomplishing God's purposes despite the wind. My chest rose suddenly and tears spilled down my cheeks as they drove off. Because there it was -- Celestial in a Telestial world. 


(And I should add, that Jesse was able to be baptized for all 16 men! And the girls for the 16 they had between them! Such happiness! I have the feeling that all of them were eager to make that covenant with God and that they were privileged to be sent that morning on my kids' first return trip to the temple.)

Anyway, moving on!

We felt a little badly when we arrived at Penny's track meet last Friday ... after her one and only race. But we felt less bad (or equally bad? or more bad? it's hard to say) when we discovered Penny missed her only race as well! Haha. Poor girl. It was the first event. And the bus got them there late. But these kids still had a good time watching the other runners and goofing off on the bleachers for a bit.

I love how the Spirit can use the words in The Book of Mormon to give us very personal guidance on specific issues -- even though all of those specific issues and circumstances could never all be directly touched on in the book. It's miraculous really. 

The other day I was feeling discouraged about an issue with my parenting and not knowing how exactly to handle things. I happened to be reading the Allegory of the Olive Tree in Jacob 5. In verse 66 I read "... ye shall clear away the bad as the good shall grow, ... until the good shall overcome the bad". I read over it and continued on without much thought. But when I got to verse 72 where it talks about the Lord of the vineyard laboring with his servants, I somehow felt drawn back to 66. "[C]lear away the bad as the good shall grow." My mind glazed and my focus was short, so on I went again. But then, I don't know. There was this push. "Go back!" And the third time, I suddenly heard the Lord's message to me regarding the thing I was struggling with in my parenting. 

I often feel so anxious to just remove all the bad -- every faulty behavior, every ingratitude, etc. in my children -- that it becomes my focus. Here I felt the Lord say to me, "Nurture the good! I will help clear away the bad as the good grows."

I don't know that I know exactly how to nurture the good. And I'm sure, in my mortal attempts to learn, I will often revert to frustration and simply trying to shout out the bad. But this. It was something. A message to me on a very specific issue found in an unlikely chapter in this sacred book. 

And with that, we will wrap this post up! (The last two pictures below were taken by Penny as we drove home from her meet. Cute.)

9 comments:

Linn said...

I love this. So very much.

Gayle Harris said...

Your amazing thoughts and comments, and your incredible pictures, always touch me so deeply. I'm so grateful you and Mike are raising those ten beautiful grandchildren of mine.

Becca said...

We were DESTINED to find each other, Nancy.

1- I laughed at your description of what teenage you might think some day of your "indulgent luxury". Reminds me of a time when two of my sisters and I got a hotel together, and we made sure to get one with a hot tub. We had such plans. But then 9:00 came and we had an hour to use the hot tub and we were so tired and all agreed to just go to bed. Three tired moms and their wild night.

2- The image of your kids heading off to the temple! So special and such a great little moment in time. You're right: celestial.

3- I have had THE EXACT SAME THOUGHT ABOUT THE SAME VERSE IN JACOB! It has become one of my favorite verses.

From my blog:
"I don't know when I made a note to the side of this verse, but at some point I wrote "How to raise children: focus on the positive" and connected it to the phrase I italicized above, "clear away the bad according as the good shall grow." I have no memory of having such a thought in connection with this verse, because it seemed like a totally new insight to me this morning. I'm glad I wrote it down when it came, because it's just what I need to focus on with my kids right now . . .

As a parent, sometimes I want to quickly "cut out" the undesirable behaviors that I see in my kids, but I think Zenos had it right when he compared vineyard husbandry (digging and planting and pruning and dunging and WORKING) to caring for people . . . you've got to focus on those good traits and desirable behaviors, and strengthen those first. As the "good branches" are strengthened, a natural consequence is a weakening of the "bad branches." If I want my children to trust and obey me, they've got to know I love them. They can feel that love so much better if I am praising their good efforts and focusing on their strengths than if I am continually "lopping off" what I perceive to be "bad" with constant correction, curtailing, or criticism. No tree would grow (let alone thrive) with perpetual pruning!"

https://renfroescoop.blogspot.com/2014/03/march-madness.html#more [skip tpo March 7th]

Nancy said...

Thanks Linn! I love you so much!

Nancy said...

And I’m so grateful you raised me such s good husband to raise these ten with. Thank you Gayle!

Nancy said...

Becca! Well if only Megan would’ve set me to your blog SEVEN YEARS AGO, I might have had this insight for ... seven years already. Haha. It’s funny because the application to parenting seems so obvious now that I don’t know how it is that I wasn’t always reading it with that as one of the insights. And yet I never did until recently. I loved reading the same feelings in another voice (and you expressed it with added eloquence and depth for me to plug in with my own feelings). I loved your line of “No tree would grow (let alone thrive) with perpetual pruning!”

Marilyn said...

I remember Sister Eubank saying that line (clear away the bad etc.) in her talk last October? as something to do in Relief Society, and I kind of made a mental note of it, thinking, "Huh. What could she mean by that?" but now reading it in context of parenting it makes SO MUCH SENSE. I have had several answers to prayer that are just "FOCUS ON THE GOOD." "SEE THE GOOD" and still I struggle with it so much (because sometimes I canNOT find any good! I just can't! Truly it is embarrassing how many prayers start with me saying "I know you said focus on the good but…"). But it is clearly a lesson I need to learn.

ALSO what is it with children these days and running one event at a track meet?? Seb always acts horrified at the suggestion he might be in more than one race. "Of course not, I'd already be tired from the mile." Hmmph! In my day, we ran two or three races, plus probably a relay, plus any field events that might be lacking participants…which is how I competed in the javelin…and the shot put…and the girls' pole vault…at various meets, without so much as a practice session under my belt (and it was just as hilarious as you might imagine).

Track meets are fun place to take pictures of kid climbing around on bleachers, though. :)

Also, I love those temple-going children on yours. We get to go on July 14th!!

Marilyn said...

of yours. Not on yours. If there were some temple-going children ON your children, that would be worrisome, temple-going or not.

Nancy said...

Yes! I know! I always ran three events! And, like you, various other nonsense things entered in as well. They had me fill in for shot put occasionally even though I had zero idea even how you threw it. One time I got lucky and by fluke threw it far-ish so they sent me to region with shot put included in my normal events. And everyone there was confused and horrified at what I was doing competing in region when I didn’t manage a throw anywhere near anyone’s. (But pole vault! Now THAT is something!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...