Friday, October 5, 2018

Hansie. Mette. Biking.

My little Hansie boy hasn’t been in any particular hurry to master the English language. But that has only served to make the things he does say charm me all the more. For example, when something goes amiss he is fond of saying, “Ah man!” (Which he first learned from Swiper the Fox, but has taken for his own.) He also will occasionally laugh about something or other and then, shaking his head, say to himself, “So funny.” And the way he says pumpkin (which he does quite regularly now that several are sitting on our front porch) is never the same. And adorable every time. “Punkneen” was what I heard last.

He is just as pleasant of a little fella as I’ve ever met.

Almost as pleasant is his sister Mette. . . .

IMG_6354-2

The other day she was screaming wildly when it was time to be napping. I told her that I would have to shut her door if she couldn’t stop yelling (she likes to have her door left partially ajar). “Well,” she moaned woefully, “can I yell when I wake up?”

Yes. Of course dear. Then you can go right back to screaming and yelling.

But she also tells me she loves me “SO MUCH” all of the time – rubbing her chubby, little hand along my cheek and jaw adoringly as she does.

And the other day she came and stood in front of me with one arm draped across her eyes. “Mom,” she said. “Guess where I am.”

I was a bit confused for a minute. Surely she knew that I knew she was right in front of me?

But no. She didn’t seem to. (She couldn’t see me. How could I possibly see her?)

“Are you in the kitchen?” I asked.

“Haaahaa!” she squeeled. “No!”

“Are you on my bed?”

“No!” (More delight at how fooled I was.)

“Are you . . . standing right in front of me?”

“Yes!” She flung her arm away in sheer glee.

And there she was.

Little trouble-making girl.

I love her.

In other news:

IMG_6252IMG_6267IMG_6270IMG_6282

After some debating, we opted to take the entire family to one of Abe’s recent mountain bike races.

IMG_6312IMG_6281IMG_6249

I love his races. Up in the mountains. Fall. Excitement. And this one was no exception, but it was incredibly dusty, and very windy, and that combined with sunblock and kids missing naps meant everyone was quite exhausted by the end.

Summer’s face sums it up perfectly.

IMG_6336

It’s weird to me how quickly we have moved from Abe’s first year on the team – when we had to drive him to every practice and race, and we worried about him getting lost on the trails, and about leaving him with these confident senior boys who were driving their own selves to practices and skillfully removing bikes from racks, etc. . . . to . . . Abe being one of those boys. It’s his final season! It’s rewarding and exciting to see how he’s grown. But I will miss this being part of our life when he finishes up in a few weeks!

IMG_6286IMG_6295IMG_6300IMG_6318IMG_6326IMG_6327

Somewhat related perhaps is this small snippet I jotted down late the other night when Mike was out of town for work, and the house was all quiet and sleeping, except for one thing:

It’s nearly midnight. Abe wakes at 6:30. I know he’s exhausted. His schedule is packed. He rarely gets eight hours of sleep. And yet, I hear him up there — in his room, a staircase away — playing his harmonica. I should call up to him -- tell him to get to bed, remind him he needs more sleep; but he’s playing God Be with You Till We Meet Again. And somehow it’s slipping and pushing me along forward in time. And I feel a little teary and don’t really want him to stop.

The end.

Except for a few last pictures. (Penny when she helped me scout out the spot for taking Abe’s dance pictures. And Anders and Summer . . . in a box.)

Photo Sep 07, 4 46 59 AMPhoto Sep 07, 10 45 11 AMPhoto Sep 07, 10 53 01 PMPhoto Sep 08, 4 52 32 AM

8 comments:

Val said...

Reading your posts and watching your pics always feels as meeting a good ol' friend! :)
My eldest daughter is really shifting towards a more adult version of herself these days, and I understand how you feel looking at Abe now. The road is long and yet so short..we do feel in such a hurry some days, and so bewildered the next day when we realize how far our children have travelled down the road already. It is really an amazing experience to be a parent!

Marnie said...

We loved reading about Hans and Mette!

Abe is lucky to have a professional-level photographer getting shots of his races. I admire you, taking the whole family. My kids opted out of the last one. Apart from the time that Eli is actually racing, it's really rather dull. :)

Marilyn said...

I love that image of little Hansie just shaking his head and chuckling to himself at the funniness of life. Little sweetie! And Mette too, bless her yelling little heart.

I can't believe Abe has to ride down that hill with all the…wheat. Corn. Dead grass?…on it. It looks like something no human could navigate, let alone a bike! Goodness. Also, it looks like he is winning. Is he winning? Not that it matters. There are so many people in every race Abe runs that it seems like NO one could EVER be in FRONT of all that pack! But…someone always is!

Marilyn said...

*MY Abe, that is. That was confusing.

Nancy said...

It is, isn’t it Val! Such conflicting emotions feeling the road is so long, watching it pass to fast, etc!

Nancy said...

Well, Marns, if you guys had had a race at Powder, your kids could have slid down a gigantic pile of wood chips and dirt while they waited. That might have changed their tune about wanting to go! :)

Nancy said...

Oh goodness! Winning if he is faster than last time I suppose. There are, like you wondered, eight million bikers at these things! Truly — the races go all day long for all the different age groups etc. They get spread out on these mountain trails after awhile, but at the start, he’s just in a mass of bikes and bodies and it’s hard to be sure if you’ve even seen him go by!

Kara said...

All of it. So lovely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...