Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Housemaid's Knee and so on

The other day Hans was going through a folder in his backpack and came across a little first-grade math test of his. "36 out of 36?!" he exclaimed. "Mom! Do you see this? Look at your boy! He's learning so much!"

He is! He is learning so much. And he is my boy. 💙

Anders makes me laugh often. We occasionally turn on music for after-dinner chores. And I occasionally ... find a new song I like and replay it several times. I had done just that the other day when Anders took over the next song choice. "All right! All right! Let me choose one now! ... Oh! Here's a song you might like." And then ... on comes the same song I'd clearly overplayed. Haha. We all chuckled and heard it through again. Then Anders said, "OK. This one is actually by the same artist that sang that song." And then ... he played the same song again. 

Three days ago I began noticing that every time I knelt down to do something--tie a shoe for a kid, put laundry away in a low drawer, tuck in Hans's trundle bed--it would feel like my right knee had knelt right on a pebble or small shard of glass. At first I thought I actually had done that. But after awhile you start to realize you just don't have that many small pebbles or glass shards in your house (nor stuck in the knee of your pants--I checked). My google search pulled up all sorts of things, but I didn't even have to read anything about it to know which of the many things it might be. My eyes immediately saw, "Housemaid's Knee". Ha! Of course that's it. How could it not be?


Abe did a work presentation down at BYU a weekend or two ago. There were multiple presentations done at this event. And, luckily for Abe, they were being judged. Which naturally meant he won first place and $100. (I just warned him to make sure that $100 dollars wasn't a saving's bond. That was all they ever loved to let us win in Reflection's contests and the like in my day. "You've won a twenty-dollar saving's bond! It will be worth $20 in fifty years!" 😅) Look at that slide. How could he not have won ... ? (His proved to be a legitimate $100. Haha.)


Speaking of success ... we are not at all surprised, but it was exciting all the same for Daisy to receive acceptance letters for both of the places she applied for graduate school! Now she just needs to decide on where she will be for the next few years!


And to end, a few last photos:

This is what it looked like shortly after Mike came to find and rescue me on my Saturday run last week. (And right before an insane hail and wind storm came along--taking down many trees and barns in our area!)

Little sweetheart.
(And you've all seen the hummingbird pillow Shannon embroidered for us before I think?)

I will miss these walking-back-from-the-kids'-bus-stop views to the east and west when we move from the rental. (Luckily it will be replaced with other lovely views!)

Saturday-morning cartoons:

Some very last-minute scrambling to ready the kids for "crazy-hair day" at school. (Anders was not feeling it.)

"Look mom! I made mermaid earrings!"

That's all for now.

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Well! Funny you should mention savings bonds. They really are the most disappointing things. but JUST THIS VERY MONTH I found some savings bonds from FOREVER ago in my little box of important papers. I think they were, in fact, reflections contest winnings or essay contest or some such thing. So I looked up if they were mature, and they were, and I went into the bank and got $200! $207.13 to be precise (or something like that…to be less precise. So. All those years of waiting PAYING OFF at last. I'm rich! I'm rich! (And a little sad for Abe that he won't learn the value of PATIENCE like I have.)

Also, I LOVE those storm pictures! Scary! But so beautiful! I'm glad you got rescued by Mike.

Also, in "Three Men in a Boat," the main character reads a medical dictionary and one by one determines that he has EVERY ailment in it…_except_ for Housemaid's Knee. I feel very pleased to learn that it's a real thing! And that…you may have it. Haha. Just joking. Not pleased about that. :(

Nancy said...

What?!!! $400 dollars?! Well I never. I know I disappointedly received saving’s bonds on probably more than one occasion, but I must have cashed them in or simply thrown them away?! When all along I might have had several hundred dollars at age 47 when our blasted house wasn’t selling! Oh the foolishness of youth.

And every ailment except Housemaid’s Knee. Hahaha! I will say that you really have no clue how often you kneel before kneeling sends a sharp stabbing sensation up your knee! It turns out I am kneeling all day long to clean up spilled milk or get something stuck under a bed or tie a kid’s shoe, etc etc etc.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...