Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Abe and Jesse Birthdays

Today is Abe's birthday. 23. TWENTY-THREE!

He knew he wouldn't be able to escape BYU (nor fit in 4 hours of driving to and from) on his actual birthday, so he came home (along with Daisy) over the weekend to celebrate along with Jesse who turned 15! (This will be my fifth child to spend forty hours of driving practice with. [And I will end that sentence on a preposition so help me. I just read this somewhere online after all: "Yes, it's fine to end a sentence with a preposition. The 'rule' against doing so is overwhelmingly rejected by modern style guides and language authorities and is based on the rules of Latin grammar, not English. Trying to avoid ending a sentence with a preposition often results in very unnatural phrasings." And if it was online ... it must be true. So.])

One of my concerns about moving--especially about having a temporary mid-move rental that wasn't part of our long-term living plan--was that it would just so much not feel like home to our college kids that they wouldn't really want to come around as much. It has made me so relieved and happy to have discovered that, while it may not have the perks of old friends close by and a familiar home ward of people who know and love them, home really still is ... wherever we all are. That sounds like some catchy phrase from a mug. "Home is where your heart is." Haha. But it has been a great comfort to find it true! And nothing makes me happier than falling asleep at midnight to the sound of the Anders-and-older crew all still up and laughing over some show or game or conversation. (I mean ... it makes me happy in a "please be quite so I can sleep" sort-of-way of course. :)

But, 23 and 15! That's just so crazy. When we told a bit about each of their births around the dinner table we realized that I was 23 when Abe was born! I could not possibly have imagined up that baby reaching my same age. (Not any more than I can now imagine any of my kids having a 23-year-old child of their own.) 

Time is such a wild thing. 

Daisy recently said something to me along the lines of, "I do think I had just a very happy childhood." And part of me thought, "What? But how is that possible? A childhood is what I had growing up with my wise parents. Surely you couldn't have had 'a happy childhood' when I'm still not even sure how to be a mom--much less how to create an entire childhood for anyone! But. ... perhaps somehow, we did. 

In any case, here is a fully-out-of-childhood Abe and a nearly-out-of-childhood Jesse!
(Nice work on Jesse's eye-of-Sauron cake, Daisy! Someone commented how it was rare to have something so sweet come out of Mordor.)

And, to end, a snapshot from the family group text. I liked this picture Penny took of Jesse helping Abe with a cuff button as they drove to church. (Her caption was pretty great too. Haha.) And below that is a photo Abe sent after hanging the Star-Wars-toy patent posters Daisy gave him.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

WOW! That eye of Mordor cake! How did she do that writing so well? I expect it is authentic Elvish, or whatever language it ought to be…Sauron probably doesn't speak Elvish.

I love how your home looks like…home. The tree and the lights and all the kids around for presents. And Abe and Jesse being SO old together! It's funny, they must have seemed SO far apart when Jesse was born and Abe was 8. But now here they are both just two men!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...